- Light exercise - calisthenics This is a great way to get the blood flowing in the morning and will give you more energy throughout your day. Many Japanese practice this every day.
- Find the "happy" "peppy" person in your office Find that person, you know who they are, that just seems to have a bit more pep than most. Carry on a conversation with them and you will find that pep will rub off.
- Spend a minute to clean and organize your desk Get everything organized and back in shape so you aren't distracted and overwhelmed by clutter.
- Pick an small easy task and complete it first This could be something simple as step 3 above or clearing out your email inbox. If you immediately start in on something tedious you will get bogged down.
- Take a few extra short breaks I know this sounds a bit counterproductive but you don't need to try and run a marathon. It is okay to stop and take a few extra breaks today. Don't take long drawn out mega breaks. Keep them short, 5 minutes or less, and just get up and walk around chat a bit, get coffee, and then get back to it.
These are a few things that really help me after a long weekend or a vacation. That first day back is always tough, especially in the morning. What do you do to motivate yourself and make it through the day? Do you even have trouble after a few days off?